Misunderstanding the Genesis creation stories as literal, historical accounts produces a number of significant difficulties, among which is that many believers feel they must defend the Bible against increasingly solid evidence for evolution.
- Peter Enns, The Evolution of Adam: What the Bible Does and Doesn’t Say about Human Origins (click to see the book on Amazon)
From Jesus without Baggage
- Creation Science Does not Predict or Correct Scientific Discoveries
- Creation Science Conclusions are not Observable or Testable
- Evolution is not Incompatible with Creation
- Inerrantists Resolve Discrepancies with ‘It Could Happen!’
- Do Evolutionists Believe in Evolution by Faith?
- What Do Creationists Teach?
- Why is Creation so Important to Creationists?
- What does the Story of Eden Tell Us? Is it about Sin?
- Does an Evolutionary Adam Provide a Compromise between Evolution and Creation?
- The Intelligent Design Flaw
- Evolution and Inerrancy: Confusing Other Genres with History in Genesis (part 1)
- Evolution, Eden, and the Flood: Confusing Other Genres with History in Genesis (part 2)
- Evolution and Original Sin: How Calvin’s TULIP Falls Apart
- Evolution and Imago Dei: What, Whence, and When the Image of God?
- Evolution and Homophobia: How We Are ‘Created’ LGBT and Straight
- Evolution and Young Earth Creationism (YEC): 4 Invalid YEC Claims Against Evolutionary Science
From Natural Historian
- Trillions of Stone Age Artifacts: A Young Earth Anthropology Paradox
- Life in a Glass House: Diatoms Shatter Young Earth Flood Geology
- ICR Claims Homo naledi Fossils are of an “Imaginary Creature”
- Dinosaurs and Humans Living Together?
- Dinosaurs, Dragons and Ken Ham: The Literal Reality of Mythological Creatures
- Ken Ham’s Darwinism: On The Origin of Species by Means of Hyper-Evolution Following Noah’s Flood
- Is Ken Ham’s Rapid Post-Flood Diversification Really Evolution?
- An Armadillo Test Case of YEC Post-flood Dispersal Speed
- The Great Genetic Bottleneck that Contradicts Ken Ham’s Radical Accelerated Diversification
- Quadrillions, Quintillions and Beyond: The Vast Fossil Record Refutes the Global Flood Narrative
- A Dinosaur Tale: A Young-Earth Speaker Takes on the Asteroid Extinction Theory
- When Marine Reptiles Ruled the Sea: Huge Ichthyosaur Fossil Find and the Age of Reptiles
- Dead Sea Part III: The Levant – A Land Literally Torn Apart
- Squeezing the Lost Grand Canyon of Egypt into the Young Earth Paradigm: An impossible* Task
- Natural Trap Cave – An Ice Age Fauna Snapshot
- Thousands of Fossilized Elephant Footprints Preserved in the Arabian Desert
- A Mediterranean Island Petrified Forest: Another Monument to an Ancient Earth
- Young-Life Creationists—Who are the People that Believe they can Replace Darwin?
- Fossil Insect Borings in Dinosaur Bones: Ecosystem Preservation During a Global Flood?
- Pando, the World’s Heaviest Organism, is an Ever-Growing Witness of an Ancient Earth
- The Polar Bear Test—An Identification Key of Christian Views of Origins
- Horses in the Bible Contradict Ken Ham’s Hyper-evolution Narrative
- Ancient Genomes Reveal Horses have been Horses for a Long Time
- In Search of the Equine Common Ancestor: Horse Series Part III
- Horsing Around with Genetic Sorting: Horse Series Part IV
- Pterosaurs and the Inevitable Road to Extinction–A Young-Earth Creationist’ View of the Rapid Loss of Biodiversity on Earth
- Natural Pitfall Traps: Preserving a History of Unfortunate Events
- The Ark Encounter’s Hyper-evolutionary Model Underestimates Speciation Rates
From Pete Enns
- A Blog Post, in which I ask myself 4 questions about Christianity and evolution
- God did not create the cosmos with “apparent age”—3 reasons
- Israel’s Two Creation Stories, Part 1
- Israel’s Two Creation Stories, Part 2
- Israel’s Two Creation Stories, Part 3
- Genesis 1 and a Babylonian Creation Story
- 11 Recurring Mistakes in the Historical Adam Debate
- Paul’s Adam, Part I
- 3 things to keep in mind if you don’t want to screw up the Noah story
- Gilgamesh, Atrahasis, and the Flood
- Gilgamesh, Atrahasis, and the Flood, Part 2
- Gilgamesh, Atrahasis, and the Flood, Part 3
From Age of Rocks
- Why the ‘Biblical’ Ice Age is a Creationist Myth
- Pluto, Patterns, and Predictions
- Coral reefs are too old to be young!
- “Oceans of Kansas,” Unexpected Fossils, and Young Earth Creationism
- From the Dust: The Book of Genesis (12 minute video)
- On Understanding Creation Theology by Denis Alexander (3 minute video)
- The Human Fossil Record: The Nature of Transitional Fossils by James Kidder
- When Appearances Are Deceiving by Scott Hoezee
- 10 Misconceptions about Evolution by Jim Stump
- Evolution Basics: Genomes as Ancient Texts by Dennis Venema
- Evolution as gradual change at the population level by Dennis Venema
- Evolution Basics: Genomes as Ancient Texts by Dennis Venema
From Other Writers
- The Power of a Poem by Rob Bell
- Geology is the Least of the Flood’s Problems by James F. McGrath
- The Animals went in Two by Two– Yet Another Flood Account by Ben Witherington
- Why My Fish are Kissing by Roger Wolsey
- Should Christian colleges teach evolution? by Rachel Held Evans
- Eight Reasons to Give Evolution a Second Chance by Rachel Held Evans
- Three Things We Never Noticed About Adam and Eve by Josh Way
Jesus without Baggage exists to assist and support those questioning beliefs they have been taught in fundamentalist, traditional evangelical, and other groups. If you know someone who might find Jesus without Baggage helpful, feel free to send them the introductory page: About Jesus without Baggage.
Pages in this series:
Resources on Angry, Violent, Vindictive God
Resources on Inerrancy and Reading the Bible
Resources on Hell and Conditional Immortality
Resources on Legalism, Sin, and Salvation
Resources on Gays and the Church
Resources on Christian Patriarchy, Abuse, and Extreme Fundamentalism
Resources on Young Earth Creationism and Evolution
- Be sure to follow this blog in the right-hand column of this page.
- Like Jesus without Baggage Page on Facebook.
- Follow @JesusWOB on Twitter
- And now on Pinterest
Pingback: Announcing Jesus Without Baggage Resource Pages | Jesus Without Baggage
Pingback: Evolution and Young Earth Creationism (YEC): 4 Invalid YEC Claims Against Evolutionary Science | Jesus Without Baggage
Pingback: 4 Tremendously Serious Problems within the Fundamentalist Homeschooling Movement | Jesus Without Baggage
Pingback: Belief in Biblical Inerrancy Must be the Second Most Damaging, Misguided Christian Belief of All | Jesus Without Baggage