When we think that God is an angry God, it affects us in many ways. We are afraid and insecure, and we try to find ways to appease his anger and to protect ourselves from punishment.
The truth is the Father loves and is not angry with us; instead, he wants to heal our alienation. This is why he sent Jesus to us.
- Rob Bell, What We Talk About When We Talk About God (click to see the book on Amazon)
Perhaps my favorite of all passages from this book is:
God is FOR every single one of us, regardless of our beliefs or perspectives or actions or failures or mistakes or sins or opinions about whether God exists or not.
In a world where so many believe in an angry, vindictive God who is ready to punish us at our every stumbling and short-coming, this message needs to be shouted from the house tops so that everyone can hear.
This 225-page volume is easy to read and engaging throughout. Bell deals with theological issues a theologian can appreciate, but he talks in our language—the language of everyday non-theologically trained people. (Read my full review here)
From Jesus without Baggage:
- The God of the Old Testament vs. the Father of the New Testament
- The #1 Most Harmful Belief Among Christians—Angry God
- God is not Angry and Harsh with Us as Many of Us Thought
- 4 Ways that Believing God is Angry and Harsh Hurts People
- God’s Love for Us Takes Away Our Fear, Guilt, and Self-Condemnation
- Angry, Violent, Old Testament God
- Jesus Speaks of His Relationship to the Father
- Approaching the Father
- Jesus Speaks of the Father’s House
- Show Us the Father
- Jesus Represents the Father Fully
- The Father Grants Judgment Authority to Jesus
- The Parable of the Joyous Father
From Peter Enns
- God Lets His Children Tell the Story
- The Best Way to Get Out of the Canaanite Genocide
- Is it Right for God to Slaughter People whenever He Wishes?
- More on Canaanite Genocide
- Children and Virgins as Spoils of War
- One Simple Thing
- The Bible’s Violent God Isn’t on Huffington Post
From Other Writers
- The abusive theology of “deserved” tragedy by Rachel Held Evans
- Consciousness and Violence by Rob Bell
- Does God Get Disappointed With Us? by Jonathan Merritt
- Is God a great big bully? Naked Pastor
- Graven Image by Tony Cutty
- The Opposing Forces in the Universe by Josh Way
- Reframing the Question of Jesus and Divinity by Josh Way
- Harm Is Not Justice On Earth Or In Heaven by Josh Way
- Be sure to follow this blog in the right-hand column of this page.
- Like Jesus without Baggage Page on Facebook.