LGBT Fact SheetsOne of the most divisive issues among believers today is the very important, but emotional, debate on whether gays should be rejected in the church or accepted as equals. Condemnation of gays causes tremendous pain to people both inside and outside the church.
Books and Film
- Justin Lee, Torn (click to see the book on Amazon)
Justin Lee was a normal Southern Baptist boy who was very dedicated to Jesus and the church. When his friends began to notice girls, Justin began to notice guys. He had heard there was sometimes a period of sexual confusion during puberty, so he waited for his attraction to guys to pass.
To his alarm, the feelings did not go away even though he dated girls and had a steady girlfriend. (Click here to read the rest of my review).
- Matthew Vines, God and the Gay Christian (click to see the book on Amazon)
If you don’t trust ‘progressive Christians’ or ‘liberals’ with the Bible, then let me tell you something about Matthew Vines. He isn’t even close! He makes it clear from the outset that he has a ‘High View’ of scripture, and he demonstrates that throughout his book.
If you are a conservative evangelical or a fundamentalist with a high view of the Bible, and you want to understand better what the Bible says about same-sex attraction, then this is the book for you! (Click here to read the rest of my review).
- Movie, Prayers for Bobby (click for the movie on Amazon)
A True Story.
Mary Griffith, a very religious, ‘Bible-believing’ mother (played by Sigourney Weaver) discovers that her 16-year-old son, Bobby, thinks he might be gay. Immediately, she begins to do everything she can to change him back to his former purity.
Finally, she rejects him and he leaves; and before long he commits suicide. This becomes a turning point for his mother who re-evaluates her understanding of what the Bible says about gays, and she becomes an advocate for gay and lesbian youth. (Click here to read the rest of my review).
- GCN Site (Gay Christian Network)
- The Reformation Project
- NALT Christians Project (Not all Like That Christian Project)
- Evangelicals Concerned Inc.
- Metropolitan Community Church
- LGBT Affirming Church Directory by State or Province
Through My Eyes From Gay Christian Network (48 minutes). Very Good and well organized. Gay Christian Youth talk about their struggles, attempts to change, suicidal impulses, rejection by family and church, and alienation between gays and the church.
Why I Changed My Mind On Homosexuality by Danny Cortez (61 minutes). A Southern Baptist Pastor humbly shares his changing views on homosexuality with his congregation knowing that he might be fired. [Update: the church did not fire him, but the Southern Baptist Convention ejected the church from the Association.]
The NALT (Not All Like That) Christian Project. Short individual videos from quite a number of Christians demonstrating that they are not like that–not condemning of LGBTs.
From Jesus without Baggage
- How I Changed from Disapproving LGBTs to Being Totally Affirming
- Homosexuality: The Questionable Case of Sodom
- Does Leviticus Say Gays are Detestable and Must be Killed?
- Adam and Eve vs. Adam and Steve
- Questioning Paul and Homosexuality in Romans
- Perspectives on Paul and Homosexuality
- Gays and the Inclusiveness of Jesus
- Concluding Remarks on Gays and the Church
- Evolution and Homophobia: How We Are ‘Created’ LGBT and Straight
- A Response to the Death of Westboro’s Gay-hating Leader Fred Phelps
From Kimberly Knight
- 5 things you REALLY mean when you say “I don’t approve of your homosexual lifestyle”
- The church is killing her gay children
- There is a Third Way but it’s not what you think – Jesus’ third way for gays
- 11 Things I Would Tell You If You Were My LGBTQ Child
- Gay Christians, You Have WAY Better Options (includes excellent list of resources)
From Susan Cottrell
- Imagined Story of an Anti-gay Pastor Arriving in Heaven
- My Family is Using the Bible to Condemn My Gay Son – How Can I Respond?
- “The Church is Killing Its Gay Children” – The Deadly Results of Shame
- What Do You Do When Your Son Is Gay?
- LGBTQ – God is NOT Mad at You and Never Has Been
- The Story of the Prodigal Transgender Daughter
- Love or Hate? It’s in the Eye of the Receiver
- 11 Things I Would Tell You If You Were My LGBTQ Child
- Coming Out to Christian Parents
- Can You Tell Which Woman is Transgender?
- To Christian Parents of LGBTQI Children
- Would You Rather Have a Gay Child or a Dead Child?
- The Ultimate Question: What If You’re Wrong??
- Are You About to Come Out to Your Christian Parents? A Must Read
- Key Resources [An excellent, extensive, well organized list. ~Tim]
From Other Writers
- Romans 1:26-27: A Clobber Passage That Should Lose Its Wallop by Don M. Burrows
- Clobber Passages by Evangelicals Concerned
- Four Tips on Talking to Your Gay Friends by Justin Lee (5-minute video)
- Can Bisexuals be Monogamous? by Justin Lee
- Ex-Gay Leaders Join Movement To Ban Gay Conversion Therapy by Tony Merevick
- Top 7 Claims for why Homosexuality is “Unnatural” Refuted by Lynette Cowper
- Stop Comparing Your Lust to My Sexual Orientation by Matthias Roberts
- 10 Bible-Based Reasons to Support LGBT Christians The Reformation Project
- 10 Ways To Include LGBTQ People In Your Congregation on Believe Out Loud
- Gays & Lesbians in American Religion: 3 Surprising Charts – Religious News Service
- How the Church Should Treat Gay People by Tony Cutty
- Why I’m Fed Up with Conservative Evangelicals (on intersexuality) by April Kelsey
- How the Daughter of a Focus on the Family Executive Came Out as Gay by Amber Cantorna
- Shallow Understanding by Greg
- I Was Wrong About Homosexuality by Alex Camire
- We Agree: We Can’t Agree to Disagree on Anti-Gay Bigotry by Don M. Burrows
- Top 7 claims for why homosexuality is “unnatural” refuted by Lynette Cowper
- LGBT Fact Sheets by Association of LGBTQ Psychiatrists
Other Lists of Resources:
- LGBT Resources by Benjamin Moberg
- Faith and Sexuality Resource Guide by Matthias Roberts
- FreedHearts Online Courses by Susan Cottrell
- Be sure to follow this blog in the right-hand column of this page.
- Like Jesus without Baggage Page on Facebook.